Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Far Side of Jane Goodall

So what was that photo all about? It's like a man standing next to his big catch of the day, only the prize fish is a... never mind. Pettiness is unbecoming.

I am thinking the way the scientific community reacted to one of Gary Larson's comic panels. When Jane Goodall was involved in one of his "The Far Side" gags, there was an uproar and an immediate demand for apology and retraction. Unbeknownst to them, Dr. Goodall was having a good hearty laugh about it. She eventually issued a public statement for people to, "Settle down... I believe I've lived with apes with better sense of humour." She even wrote the preface to Larson's The Far Side Gallery 5 afterwards. I love Gary Larson! If only more people were on this wavelength, I dare say my life on this world would be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment